The National Health Insurance Authority, the Regulator of Private Health Insurance Schemes in Ghana under the National Health Insurance Act, 2012 (Act 852), wishes to inform the General Public and all Healthcare Service Providers that apart from the under listed Licensed Schemes, any other Institution, Firm, Company, or Individual(s) purporting to offer health insurance services is unlicensed and in violation of Section 63 of the National Health Insurance Act, 2012 (Act 852).
Any person who transacts business with a Private Health Insurance Scheme other than those licensed in line with the above law, does so at their own peril.
LICENSED PRIVATE COMMERCIAL HEALTH INSURANCE SCHEMES
These licences are valid from 1st January, 2016 to 31st December, 2017
|S/N||NAME OF SCHEME||CONTACT ADDRESS
|1|| Acacia Health Insurance Limited||No. 5 Asoye Lane, East Legon.|
|2|| Apex Health Insurance Limited|| Suite 102, Zion House,
No. 7 Nii Yemoh Avenue, OIC Road
Shiashie- East Legon- Accra|
|3||Cosmopolitan Health Insurance Limited||House Number E658, Pawpaw Street
East Legon – Accra
|4||Empire Health Insurance Limited||House No. B29, Abofum Street
Near Adenta Municipal Assembly
|5||GLICO Healthcare Limited||No. 3 Aviation Road, Adjacent Ghana Home Loans, Airport-Accra|
|6||Kaiser Global Health Limited||Kaiser House, Near Aninwah Medical Centre
Emina Taxi Station, Kumasi
|7||Liberty Medical Health Scheme Limited||Debrah House, Plot No. L1/5A 8,9
Adjacent Gyawu Towers
Tema Motorway Roundabout, Tema
|8||Metropolitan Health Insurance Ghana Limited||Metropolitan House, 8 Tabon Link
North Ridge Crescent, North Ridge, Accra
|9||NMH Nationwide Medical Health Insurance Scheme Limited||Premium Place, No. 25 Osu Avenue Road,
Ako Adjei Interchange, Accra
|10||Premier Health Insurance Company Limited||48 Cocoa Street, Teshie Nungua Estates|
|11||Universal Health Insurance Limited||House No. A1 Lovely Tanker Yard
Tema Community 25, Tema
- To be able to operate legally, a Private Health Insurance Scheme must possess valid operational licence issued by the National Health Insurance Authority.
- A healthcare facility transacting business with Private Health Insurance Scheme shall be a credentialed facility of the National Health Insurance Authority.
- A person desiring to enroll with a Private Health Insurance Scheme shall first enroll as a member of the National Health Insurance Scheme.
- A contract of insurance for the provision of healthcare services entered into between a person and a Private Health Insurance Scheme is a private contract governed by the laws of contract of the country.
The National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) is mandated by National Health Insurance Act, 2012 (Act 852) to regulate Private Health Insurance Schemes (PHIS) in Ghana. In performing its regulatory functions the Authority registers, licenses and supervises the operations of PHIS in Ghana.
The law established two (2) types of private health insurance schemes:
- Private Mutual Health Insurance Scheme (PMHIS)
- Private Commercial Health Insurance Scheme (PCHIS)